Thursday, September 30, 2010

Festival Season | Nostalgia

The time is fast approaching...it's getting cooler and rainier by the day. Durga Puja, Diwali, Navaratri -- all coming up soon! There is a definitely sense of excitement in the air in my Indian community for these upcoming festivities. I grew up in India for almost half of my life, so I really miss especially this season. When I used to live in India, my whole family used to gather in one city to celebrate Durga Puja and Diwali -- it was a very fun and exciting time for me. Here, I celebrate Durga Puja and Diwali with my second family of aunties, uncles, mashis, kakus, and awesome friends :) I can't wait to start preparing for the season -- I'm already trying to figure out new ways to decorate our house for Diwali!

I love the festival season -- new clothes, bright colors, fresh flowers, the smell of incense on the altar, hot luchis (an Indian flatbread), garlands of flowers, diyas (oil lamps), and more. I found some photos that sum up the festival season perfectly :)
Bright lamps!



Delectable Indian sweets - barfis and laddoos! Last year, my mom and I spent a whole weekend cooking up batches of delicious Indian desserts - it was so much fun!
 I love round lamps -- these red ones are so cute!
Priests doing Diwali puja by the Ganges river.  

Marigolds - always signifies auspicious occasions. It cheers up anything -- I love the bright orange/yellow hues of the flowers.  

Lamps and Rangoli :) Rangoli is a form of decoration where colored powders are used to make intricate patterns on a flat surface, usually the floor.


 A temple decked out in marigold garlands - so festive!

 Dhunuchi Naach during Durga Puja - one of the most fun parts about the puja!

 
I will do a big post on Durga Puja and Diwali soon, so watch out!

What are you doing this festival season?

{Note: none of these photos belong to me}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...